Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Book Review: Holy is the Day by Carolyn Weber




I devoured Carolyn Weber's first book, Surprised by Oxford.  It is intelligent, funny, so well written, and delightful in it's careful retelling of her experiences at Oxford University.

I developed an idea of who Ms. Weber is from reading her first book and her bio. She is a college professor. Has her PH.D.  Is super intelligent.  Went to Oxford.  Has a beautiful family.  Has plenty of money.  Has an easy life.

Umm, why oh why do I make assumptions about people.

I jumped at the chance to read her second book, Holy is the Day: Living in the Gift of the Present.

And oh wow.  First off, again I learn, every time I make assumptions- they are wrong.

Ms. Weber is not living an easy life where everything is beautiful and without difficulty.  She is a mother of young children, trying to balance work and home, and of course struggling with everything that needs to be done.  I learned that she is just like me and every other mother I know - pulled in so many directions and desperately wanting to do what's best for our families and never having enough time and many times failing.  But yet, there is beauty in each day through the difficulties we all face.

In this book Ms. Weber weaves stories of her everyday life, which are compelling, with the truth that God gives us grace to get though each day and that every day is beautiful and a gift.

This book encouraged me in my daily walk to be more compassionate, grateful, and humble.  And of course to not make assumptions.

Please, if you love superbly written books that will encourage you in your faith, then read this book.




Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: