Sunday, September 5, 2010

My Love of Aprons

I love aprons. I do. Last week my Mom sent me an apron in the mail. I loved it when I first saw it. The patterns on the fabric are so pretty, the apron is well made, and it is just a fun apron. When I first got it in the mail I put it on right away and didn't want to take it off.
A few days later my Mom told me the story of the apron. A lady at her church created different aprons to sell. She was trying to raise money so that her son could go on a school trip to Washington D.C. Yes, a class field trip from Texas to Washington D.C.- I'm sure it was a large amount of money to raise. This hard-working mom made dozens of different aprons, in her spare time, after working her full time job. From her apron sales, she was able to raise enough money to send her son on the trip to Washington D.C. This lady is an immigrant and about three years ago became a citizen of the United States. How wonderful for her son to travel to the nation's capitol and experience this special city.
The background of this story makes me love this apron even more. An apron represents work, cooking and cleaning, but work I choose to complete happily for my family. Just as this talented lady labored making aprons for her son, so I labor in my apron for my family.

1 comment:

Grannie said...

Looks so good on you! You are right the apron was made just for you with your 'name' on it. I'll tell Maria how much you are enjoying it!