Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Change and Growth

I want to change and grow, but sometimes it is hard and scary. God is stretching me and I am learning more and more every day to trust Him.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. I Peter 5:7

When dear husband received his college degree we both expected him to land an amazing job with an equally amazing paycheck. He did land a job (Praise God!) but we have had to budget and live frugally. God faithfully provides for us in big and small ways.

In the last week:
  • Hubs had jury duty for two days and was paid from his work for those days and received a check for jury duty for $46.
  • He was one of two employees asked to work five hours of rare overtime.
  • He spent a few hours listing some items on ebay we had collected from yard sales and Goodwill and he made $150.
  • And just yesterday the boys and I decided to meet Aaron for lunch. We headed to a restaurant near his work where he gets an inexpensive lunch 3 or 4 times a week. We ordered our food then the manager asked him if we were his family and she gave us our lunch for free. FREE! Yes, in the scheme of things $20 is not a huge amount, but it made our day.

God is good!

And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19

So I am continually learning to look to God as our provider. But also, I am learning to be content and that God's plans are better than our plans. And that all things work together for good. I believe this!

Another big development in our life is that I am returning to college. I looked into our local college which I attended before we got married. They have a degree that is offered where all of the classes are online. I thought, "Okay I can do that." So I have decided to take some classes this fall and work on finishing my degree. This decision has not come without anxiety. I woke up in the middle of the night some days ago and was unable to go back to sleep. The thoughts of how on earth will have time to homeschool the boys, commitmens to co-op and church, take care of the house, handle the laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, and take the college classes with papers, assignments, and tests and somehow get good grades.

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:8

This feels right and the perfect time for me to go back to school. I still had doubts though. But this week I was notified that I will receive a large grant that will cover almost the entire cost of my schooling.

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8

So thankful for change, growth, and God's provision!

3 comments:

Grannie said...

I know you can do it! God is good and it is in the day to day 'miracles' and blesings that we can see His outstretched arm of mercy and provision.....you are and have always been woman of faith! Remember the BIG house! You and Joe had faith when me and Dad were unsure...Great news about the grant...tell everyone hellp!

Holly Young said...

Wow Lori!! I am so proud of you going back to school. I have been wanting to do that for a long time, but have stalled because of the stresses of life and paying back Matt's student loans. I was encouraged to read this. What will your degree be in?

Lori said...

The local university here offers a degree in General Studies completely online. I am going with that so I can do it completely from home.