Thursday, January 7, 2010

Favorite Books of 2009

Here are my favorite books of 2009:


I love to read and I love books, but I also like to be frugal, so I get my books where I can. I find books at garage sales, thrift shops, and on clearance. So some of my favorite books of 2009 were published years before. I also buy books with birthday money, put books on my Christmas list, and occasionally splurge and buy a new book. Two of these books I won in a giveaway too! The books are:


  1. The Cay by Theodore Taylor This is a children's book, but every adult should read it! This story of a boy who is shipwrecked on an island with an old man is quite moving. When they encounter unexpected danger on the island I was on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what would happen.
  2. The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse This is another children's book. In this book a young girl, who has been raised by dolphins is found and rescued. The book explores what it means to be human. I thought the book was both heartbreaking and hopeful.

  3. Night by Elie Wiesel A sad and tragic book, yet one that must be read to remember the atrocities of the Holocaust.

  4. Embrace Me by Lisa Samson I love this book! It is well written, thought provoking, and is filled with themes of hope, redemption, forgiveness, and God's love. One of my all time favorite books!

  5. Girl Meets God: A Memoir by Lauren F. Winner I found this book at a thrift shop and it sounded interesting. And it was! It's the story of a girl who converts to Christianity after being an Orthodox Jew. In it she states, "I was courted by a very determined carpenter from Nazareth." I enjoyed following her spiritual journey. Published by the mainstream market, you will not find this book in a Christian bookstore, but the book definitely points you to Jesus.

  6. Home Another Way by Christa Parrish I get so, so excited when I discover a new Christian author and their work is exceptional! I loved Home Another Way! It is a beautiful story of forgiveness, grace, and mercy.

  7. My Hands Came Away Red by Lisa McKay Another great new Christian author. This is the story of a teenager who goes on a missions trip and gets caught in the middle of violence in that country. She, along with other teenagers on the missions trip, have to fight for their lives. This book was hard to put down, as I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

  8. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards I think I picked this book up for a quarter but it is well worth paying full price for it. It follows the life of a family and the effects of one life-changing decision. It also explores the terrible effects of a lie. While this book does not offer hope like some of the other books on this list, it does affirm life and how everyone is valuable.

  9. After the Leaves Fall and Summer Snow by Nicole Baart Here is one more new talented Christian author. I follow her blog and right before Christmas I won both of these books in a giveaway! They came in the mail on Christmas Eve. It was a great present! On to the books. They are both wonderfully written and thought provoking and explore the themes of grief, redemption, and forgiveness.
  10. The Shadow Women by Angela Elwell Hunt Angela Hunt is one of my favorite Christian writers. She has written a ton of books, so varied but all so excellent. This book is the story of the women in Moses life. It is written from the perspective of Moses' sister, Miriam, Moses' Egyptian mother, and Moses' wife, Zipporah. This book brought this familiar story to life and made me look at it in a different way. A great read!

Caleb gathered his favorite books of 2009. Not surprisingly they are all about adventure and excitement. They are:



Lukey wanted to be included, too. Lukey's favorite books all feature cats except one with a squirrel.

1 comment:

Grannie said...

Just read your blog and laughed and laughed at little Lukey's books! I read the Cay with students in 8th grade it is great. I admire you and your steadfastness to stay on track and read. Gonna try some of the books.

Have your read any of Sharron Creech's books? Walk Two Moons, Chasing Redbird, etc. YA BUT very good...the main character is based in Bybanks Kentucky (fictional as far as I can see). Anyway love ya and have a great day!