Friday, September 11, 2009

Going Ons

1. Reading and Eating
Anna's blog made me want to read some books about eating and food. I'm not sure I am ready to go here. So far I have read In Defense of Food and started Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and Fast Food Nation. I am so ready to move to a farm and grow and raise my own food. (Like my mom!)
Food in America is not only so processed, but also has so many ingredients that are unpronounceable and unnatural. Last week I started making more food from scratch. I used this recipe for homemade bread and it was fairly easy and straightforward and yummy. I am not a super baker or anything. I think the recipe is foolproof.


I also made this homemade granola cereal. Basically the recipe is 6 cups dry ingredients and 1 cup wet ingredients.

I went with this: Dry Ingredients, 3 cups oats, 2 cups almonds, 1 cup whole wheat flour, and 1 cup puffed rice cereal. Wet Ingredients: 1/2 cups oil, 1/2 cup honey, 1 tsp vanilla. I also added some cinnamon. Mix together and put in greased cookie sheet, bake in 300 oven for 30 to 60 minutes stirring some.

Aaron eats granola almost every day for breakfast. He liked this batch, only next time I will probably leave out the puffed rice cereal and add coconut.
I can not wait to try this recipe for granola: a crockpot granola recipe. Yes, granola cereal made in the crockpot!

2. Aaron's Makeover

Aaron cleaning the kitchen while rocking out.

Aaron has been undergoing a makeover and he doesn't even know it. First off, Aaron has become an ultimate bargain shopper- he stops by Goodwill two or three times a week after school and brings home items to sell on ebay. Also, he has been doing the dishes (at times), folding huge piles of clean clothes (I guess he got tired of seeing them on the couch), and grocery shopping. Those may not seem like big deals, but he is not a fan of any of those tasks and when he helps out with them it is a big help to me. (I am slightly busy homeschooling two boys.) But the biggest change that I am most proud of is he has become a reader. I love to read, and am reading whenever I can. Aaron not so much. He has started to read The Hobbit by: J.R. Tolkien. I am proud of myself, I have opened Aaron's eyes up to the joy of thrift shopping, the joy of housework, and the joy of reading.

3. Caleb Caleb has three full weeks of school behind him. He is working really hard and has a full day of work. He has also been busy reading. He has just discovered the Hardy Boys. Meet the new Hardy Boys- secret teenage undercover agents solving mysteries at new locations like the X-Games.

4. Lukey
Lukey is loving school. He tells me all the time that he loves pluses and minuses. For his reading/ writing program after completing each days assignments he gets to pick a prize out of the Treasure Box. I think that is the high point of his day. He dumps it all out and then carefully chooses his treasure for the day. Sometimes he will exclaim, "It is just too hard to decide what to get!"
5. Blue Bell Ice Cream Update
I have gone a couple of weeks with no ice cream in the house. This past week at Kroger I longingly looked at the Blue Bell but kept on walking. Then last night we were out of milk. I stopped by CVS and right by the milk they had Blue Bell pints on sale 2 for $3. Well they got me, I brought home Homemade Vanilla and Moolenium Crunch (Vanilla ice cream with chocolate and caramel chunks with pecans, almonds, and walnuts). I can't wait to try it!

1 comment:

Grannie said...

WOW the adventures never end at the Graza house! I love keeping up with everyone...especially the Garza guys...such a cozy little family in cozy little house ..sweet and neat....love ya looking forward to seeing you guys SOON

hugs and kisses