Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Happenings

Caleb's Literature class is reading The Hundred Dresses by: Eleanor Estes. It is the story about a Polish girl who comes to live in America. Her family does not have much money and she wears the same blue dress to school every day. The other girls in the class start to make fun of her. What happens in the story is surprising. This is a powerful book that everyone should read.


In Caleb's Literature class, the students were discussing this book and they started to talk about forgiveness. I told the class how we all need forgiveness. I mentioned that I sometimes got mad at Caleb and lose my temper with him and that I have to ask for his forgiveness. Almost every student immediately said, "My mom does that all the time." I guess all Mom's have that problem.


At Co-op we had the class Christmas parties yesterday. Caleb's party was the last one of the day. A couple of the kindergarten girls came into the party with their siblings, because they were done for the day. After getting a plate of food, one of the girls said, "The food at this party is so much better than the food at our party."

We are done with Co-op for the year, until January! We are so ready for a break!

One of Caleb's friends gave Caleb a secret letter. It said it was only for Caleb to read, but Caleb wanted to share it with me. This particular boy likes a girl in Caleb's class and is trying to match up the other students in the class. I am not sure how I feel about this. Aaron thinks this boy must watch too much Suite Life. All Zach and Cody try to do is kiss girls it seems like. Anyways this boy had typed up a paper it said.

Key: Initials

C.U. We think C.G. or E.F.
K.K. A.E.
M.F. Unknown
M.G. Unknown
H.B. Unknown
E.F. Unknown
A.E. K.K.
C.G. Neutral
C.F. Neutral
B.B. H.B.

Then on the bottom of the paper it said THE TEAM and listed the boys in Caleb's class. The boy wrote a note to Caleb saying: This is the first progress report on the C that's what we are calling them after I almost got caught by my mom it's really important that you keep this a secret and from now on I will be meeting with you at lunch. I'm trusting you, Caleb.

First off, Caleb immediately wanted to show me and Aaron the letter when he came home. That is a good thing. Secondly, is this something to be concerned with or is it just harmless? Thirdly, C.G. neutral made me laugh.

When we got home yesterday, I talked to Mom on the phone. She asked me if she was interrupting dinner preparations. Our dinner was in the crockpot and she asked me to please share the recipe, so here it is.

Southwestern Chicken
(from Fix-it and Forget-it Lightly Cookbook by: Phyllis Pellman Good)

2 cans corn, drained or 1 bag frozen corn
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
16 oz. jar chunky salsa, divided
6 boneless chicken breast halves or 1 lb. boneless chicken tenders
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Combine corn, black beans, and 1/2 cup salsa in crock pot.
2. Top with chicken. Pour remaining salsa over chicken.
3. Cover. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 7-8 hours.
4. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover 5 minutes for cheese to melt.

Note: This is great served over rice, and topped with sour cream.


1 comment:

Holly Young said...

Lori- the crock pot recipe looke delicious. I will try this one out for sure!! Love reading your posts- all of them. Only wish I could see you more in person! Merry Christmas!!