Monday, December 22, 2008

For Your Entertainment

What Child is This? by: Caroline B. Cooney is a moving story set at Christmas. It is a book I found in the young adult section of the library. If your library has it, read it, you will enjoy it. This is the story of two foster children and what happens to them. I am always moved by stories that involve children who need a home.

Aaron and I rented The Visitor from Blockbuster. This is an excellent movie that made me look at the plight of immigrants in a different way.


We checked out Hotel Rwanda from the library. This is one of the best movies I have seen. The whole movie is edge of your seat action. And it is based on a true story. It is so moving to see what a difference one person can make. It is also so frightening to see the evil that people can commit against their fellow man. If you have not seen this movie, you need to! This movie is disturbing in that the world (America included) did not come to the rescue of the people of Rwanda. Over 800,000 people were murdered. In the movie there are clips of Bill Clinton and Janet Reno talking about Rwanda and saying that what was happening there was not genocide. I know that America can not police the world and come to every countries rescue, but I sometimes think we must. America has been given so much. Surely we can do better.


2 comments:

Grannie said...

That book What Child is This has been one of my favorite for years. I had a paperback copy for years-may still have it. This is the same author as the "Face on the Milk Carton" series. Anyway a good series. Glad you got a date night! See you guys soon!

Lori said...

Mom,

That is so cool that you like that book too. I thought it was excellent. I have never read "The Face on the Milk Carton" books. I am going to look for them at the library. See you tomorrow!