Saturday, November 29, 2008

Black Friday Shopping

Desperate times call for desperate actions. Well, we are not really in desperate financial straits, but money is tight enough that it was worth it for me to venture out early Friday to snag some deals. My first item I wanted to get was at Toys R Us. Caleb saw the Lego Trade Federation MTT (Star Wars) a few weeks ago and asked for it. I told him I didn't think we would be able to get it because it cost $99. So when I saw that Toys R Us had it for $59, I knew that I needed to try for it. Toys R Us also had all Aqua Raiders Lego Sets for 50% off. I woke up Friday at 4:00, got dressed, and made it to Toys R Us at 4:30. The line reached all the way around to the back of the parking lot. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the line. I didn't think I would be able to get what I wanted. At 5:00 a.m. they opened the door and I made it in. I went straight to the big Star Wars display at the front of the store and there on the shelf was the Trade Federation set. I grabbed it and went to the Lego aisle. I found only two Aqua Raider sets left and I quickly grabbed one. I headed over to check out and I didn't have to wait in line at all. I purchased my Lego sets and made it to the car by 5:15 a.m. I couldn't believe how easy it was. A few things that helped me was that the Lego sets are in the front of the store, and that I wasn't getting any video games. The video game section was packed with people.

Feeling confidant I drove over to Walmart. Yes, Walmart. The Walmart here is always crowded, but I thought I should at least try. I drove around the back of the parking lot and parked near the automotive area, and walked around by the lawn and garden area. I went inside and grabbed a cart. My goal at Walmart was the Razor Freestyle 20" Bicycle and Helmet for $50. Caleb has needed a new bike for a while now and we wanted to get him one for Christmas. I also wanted to pick up the Hot Wheels Mega City Pack for $20 and the Play Doh Canister for $10. I turned right to head to the toys and I couldn't go anywhere. There were carts everywhere and no one was moving. I decided to ditch my cart and walk around the back of the health and beauty aisles. I made it to the lawn and garden section where all the bikes were. I saw about 15 Razor bikes (in boxes), but I had no cart. I walked around looking for a cart, but I couldn't find one. Then I saw a lady checking out in lawn and garden and she gave me her cart. I walked back over to the Razor bikes and now there were only about 5 left. I put one in the cart and got in the checkout line in lawn and garden. While in line, I noticed a pallet of the Hot Wheels toy down the main aisle. The lady behind me watched my cart and kept my place in line while I ran down there and grabbed one. I came back and was able to check out in about ten minutes. They had a worker letting us out of the lawn and garden entrance, so I didn't have to go back inside and fight the crowds. Walmart's electronic section looked really crazy- with people everywhere. I know that Walmart had some great prices on other items, but I didn't feel like fighting the crowd all through the store. I was happy with my two items. I did forget about the play doh, but that's okay.

I decided to try one more store. Our HEB Plus had a 12" boys bike on sale for $24.88 (regular price- $44.88). Luke needed a bike as well. He doesn't have a bike, he only has a tricycle and he has gotten good at pedaling it. So time for a bike. I pulled into HEB and walked in. It wasn't too crowded. I walked all around, but I couldn't find a bike anywhere. I saw three HEB workers standing together and I decided to go ask them where the bikes were. When I asked them, they said, "Right here." Behind them was a pallet of bikes, and they only had a few left of the size we wanted for Luke. I grabbed it and went to check out.

I headed home and made it to the house at 6:15 a.m. I had visited three stores and got five really good deals! I couldn't believe it. As my Dad would say, "It was the God factor."

Toys R Us
Lego Trade Federation MTT
Regular Price $99.99 Black Friday Price $59.99
Saved 40%

Lego Aqua Raiders Tiger Shark Attack
Regular Price $29.99 Black Friday Price $14.99
Saved 50%

Walmart
Razor Freestyle 20" Bike and Helmet
Price of similar bike at Toys R Us $79.99 w/out helmet
Black Friday Price $50.00
Saved over 38%

Hot Wheels Mega City Pack
3 city sets in 1 (one set usually runs $12 to $17)
Black Friday Price $20
Saved over 38%

HEB
Huffy 12" Boys Bike
Regular Price $44.88
Black Friday Price $24.88
Saved 44%

2 comments:

Holly Young said...

Sounds like you did awesomw!! I I got up around 5:30 and left at 6am. I got to Wal-Mart first and it was packed, but I got the things I wanted. Hannah Montana crock shoes for $4.00. Pixo's starter set $10.00. Hannah Montana P.J's $4.00. Sweat suits for Preston and Tori $4.00 each. My sister in law was bummed out because she wanted the hand held Leapster and they were gone when she got there. I didn't get home until around 5pm and I was exhausted, but I had a great time!!!

Grannie said...

Wow Lori what a morning! I had never done the Black Fridaything-but decided to try it. I got out a little after 5..was going to Kohls-madness! I knew I was in trouble when I had to park at hte 'back 40'. Of course no carts in site-had to beg for bag! Anyway got some stuff and I kept passing this 'abandoned cart'...about 5 times and dno one around stuff the same each time. It looked like some poor soul abandoned ship and ledt. It dumped the stuff (didn't go in the children's area)...put my stuff inand continued loading. All the time I am eyeing this line...it gets longer and longer and it is close to the 'crime scene..aka the 'stolen cart'. I think I'll keep looking it will get shorter....I couldn't find some of my items or they were sold out and finally resolved to get in the line. Wait Kohl's has 2 lines. You know how they do it...everyone gets in a line and then goes to the next available register. I try line hopping...which one is shorter then just got in one and ianched....yes inched along. It had to be an hour at least...I finally made it got some great deals...feeling pretty smug....this is now 9:30...yes $ hour in Kohl's. I had planned to go to Toys R Us. Nope, no way. Walmart out of the question. Then it hit me....I had purchased ALL those items on one receipt and 'forgot' to get the little gift receipts!!!!!!!!!!!! I cameclose to turning around and going back. BUT kept on going home. Its is now Tuesday and I haven't dec ided what can bedone about the gift receipts. Anyway go home Amy is in bed sick......she was sick all day and into Saturday. Karsen had been sick off and on all week and Kaden got sick ...Tim and the sickos...as he called them left on SATURDAY noonish...I got sick..stomach virus with other fun stuff both ends....Glen got sick sameo.....Stomach still bumling and gurgling..Monday night finally ate after 2 1/2 days no food. Glen still sick. We have eaten soup and both longing for the day when we will once again be ready for real food!

Anyway what a week! Started out spending time and working with Lori and Aaaron on their house....ended up so sick in bed moaning and thinking you'll never eat food again. Life is strange!