Friday, October 17, 2008

My Glass is Half Full


Husband has had some bad news concerning his job. On Wednesday he had a meeting (he calls into their meetings and listens in) and they let everyone know that effective that day they were taking away premium pay. (He has a certain amount of claims to do each day, whatever he does over that number, he gets paid over and above his salary- that is premium pay.) Well Big A is a super worker and each paycheck he would get an extra $350 to $500 in premium pay. It has been like that for over a year. Needless to say we have gotten used to having the extra money. In the meeting his supervisor asked if anyone had questions and then she asked husband specifically if he had any questions. (I wonder if he was the biggest premium pay earner.) This year his company was bought out by another company that shall remain nameless. Part of the agreement was that they would keep premium pay at least to the end of the year. They said they took it away early because of market conditions. Also, for the past two weeks there has not been enough work for everyone to do. Today they let everyone take off as a vacation day. Back to the meeting, husband's company is in the process of switching all their policies over to a new system. Husband asked if or when they would be trained on the new system. His manager said that they would not be trained on the new system. What does that mean? We think it means that layoffs are coming. We are filled with questions. Can we adjust our budget and expenses to no premium pay? How long will husband have a job? Will we have money for Christmas? Why did I just spend all of my birthday money? What will we do if or when he is laid off?
But I am glad that I know someone who does have the answers. One of my favorite verses is :
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

So I am holding on to that verse.
I started to get a little down about Aaron's job. We didn't really talk about it to the boys. But the next morning I was having breakfast with the boys, Aaron was already at school. And Luke said, "Mom God can turn water into wine."
We then talked about this story:
1 Kings 17:8-16 (New International Version)8 Then the word of the LORD came to him: 9 "Go at once to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have commanded a widow in that place to supply you with food." 10 So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, "Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?" 11 As she was going to get it, he called, "And bring me, please, a piece of bread."
12 "As surely as the LORD your God lives," she replied, "I don't have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die."
13 Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain on the land.' "
15 She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. 16 For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the LORD spoken by Elijah.

Then Caleb chimed in and said, "Just like when God multiplied the loaves and the fishes."
So I am putting my trust in my heavenly Father. My glass is half full. I am thankful that Aaron still has his job. I am going look at it as a challenge to tighten our budget and cut down on expenses. I am going to believe for the best for our future. And I know that God will provide.

4 comments:

Mimi B said...

Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

We will keep you in our prayers.

Mimi (member of the GT)

Grannie said...

Yes, even in our waves between panic and faith-out of the blue out of the mouthes of 'babes' comes the reminder God is there and does have the PLAN. In God's plan there are no mistakes or hasty decisions. HE is moving the heavens and earth-shaking foundations and bringing about His purposes. I could not help but weep as I read your blog...your strength, faith and character are shining clear blue. And as always Dad and I are here.

Holly Young said...

Lori,

I love that verse you quoted. God has amazing plans for us and I am learning everyday that my trust is more and more in him and not this world! God will take care of you guys and I will believe that even if people get laid off- Aaron is the head and not the tail and he will be the one that stays and gets a raise!! No matter what happens God will bring you through. I am praying for you!!

LOVE,
Holly

Erica said...

I believe God will bless you for your faith. It always amazes me the clarity that our kids can give us sometimes.

Keep up the good work!