For school this week we are studying Abraham Lincoln. One reason I love homeschooling is that as I am teaching Caleb I am learning too.
We read these two books aloud with Luke:
Just a Few Words Mr. Lincoln
The Story of the Gettysburg Address
by: Jean Fritz
Abe Lincoln and the Muddy Pig
by: Stephen Krensky
by: Ingri & Edgar Parin d'Aulaire
This is an excellent book that tells about President's Lincoln early life.
Some interesting things we learned:
1. He was born in Kentucky to a poor family.
2. He stopped going to school at age six, because he could read and write.
3. His family moved to Indiana in December and spent the winter in a three-sided lean-to made of logs and branches.
4. When he was 9 years old his mother died.
5. At age 10 his father married a widow with three children and his new mother was kind to Abraham and his sister and raised them as her own.
6. He educated himself by borrowing books and newspapers.
7. He loved animals and would speak up if anyone was cruel to an animal- even an ant.
8. He studied from a law book to become a lawyer.
9. He was going to marry a girl named Ann, but she took sick and died.
10. He ended up marrying Mary Todd and she said he was going to become president.
This is a book that every child should read.
This is a book for children, but it is fascinating and adults would enjoy it as well. It is filled with photographs from Lincoln's life. In this book Lincoln seems like such an ordinary person so similar to us today, yet also such a brilliant person.
This book says that, "More books have been written about Abraham Lincoln than any other American." I can see why, he is such an interesting person. He truly was a distinguished American and our greatest President!